Who We Are
IJM is the global leader in protecting the poor from violence in the developing world. Our global team of over 1,000 professionals are at work in over 25 countries. Together, we are catalyzing a global revolution that will rescue millions, protect half a billion, and make justice for the poor unstoppable.
Motivated by God’s call to seek justice for the oppressed, we believe that the way we work is as important as the results we achieve. We are a global community that cares for one another. We value joy and celebration, and we strive to provide professional excellence to all those we serve.
IJM is seeking a Researcher to provide research support for IJM’s OSEC programs in IJM’s Center to End Online Sexual Exploitation of Children (Center), with the objective of exposing, neutralizing, and deterring online sexual exploitation of children globally. This role is expected to contribute significantly to the Center’s objectives of (1) strengthening an effective global network of accountability (law enforcement and prosecution), (2) supporting effective justice system responses from source and demand-side countries, and (3) improving detection and reporting by technology and financial sectors.
The ideal candidate brings experience conducting open-source research, synthesizing existing research for executives, supporting formal IJM-led or IJM-supported research, and delivering timely, clear and concise professional work product. She or he will help the Center become a leader in showcasing our community protection, consulting, activation, and educational products to help drive the impact of criminal justice system response to violent crimes committed against people in poverty, in particular OSEC. This position also provides research to support all written products, external presentations and internal programming decisions, including by analyzing IJM collaborative casework, training, and system reform data, external published reports, along with government and partner data.
This position reports to the Lead, Program Management, Center, Global OSEC Hub, Asia Pacific Region, and is based in Manila or Cebu with occasional travel within the Philippines.
Research, Program Management and M&E:
- Monitor and synthesize published reports relevant for OSEC and provide summaries, recommended actions and messaging, relevant data for Center projects and activation goals
- Monitor and synthesize relevant global/regional/national/corporate responses to OSEC (i.e. national plans of action, strategic plans, new initiatives) and make relevant recommendations for Center programs, new partnerships, and messaging
- Attend relevant webinars, online trainings, and fora to gather relevant data, insights, professional opinions, answers, etc. relevant to inform implementation of Center messaging, activation goals, expansion assessments and other programming
- Analyze internal IJM data from casework, trainings, and system reform to share with SMEs to support the development of products based on documented program impact of the Philippine OSEC program
- Prepare country stakeholder lists and analysis for all strategic source-side countries to support expansion assessments
- Synthesize and compile in Excel spreadsheet or other comparable tool indicators relevant to source country OSEC risk profiles to support expansion assessments
- Support relevant country, OSEC, and stakeholder opensource research for expansion assessments
- Support the development of M&E aspects of the Global OSEC Hub and Center related to research
- Support IJM-led or IJM-supported formal research projects
Documentation, Reporting & Data Management:
- Regularly gather and efficiently disseminate timely external data that is relevant to Center programs and activation goals
- Data analysis and related research to support the development of products for industry, law enforcement institutions, and prosecution stakeholders
- Provide regular communications to supervisor on progress in OSEC research and data projects
- Regularly collaborate with Lead, Communications Writer (Center), providing timely information on OSEC research and data for social media use
- Review draft products and provide relevant research findings and data to SMEs and other product development members/writers to support persuasiveness of products
- Produce relevant research findings and external/internal data for use in external presentations, webinars, speeches, and media engagements
- During Center calls and meetings, provide recommended uses of IJM and external data for program development, monitoring and evaluation purposes in collaboration with the Program Manager
Networking & Partnership:
- Network and partner with IJM subject matter experts within the Center, OSEC Hub and other regions to identify relevant data for Center products and outputs
- Maintain collaborations with product developers and researchers in other IJM regions, Hubs, and Global to learn cutting-edge informal and OS research techniques and utilize same
Events and Logistics:
- Support the development and presentation of Center products during events, matching relevant data and data sources with key concepts (UN SDGs etc) as needed to provide a stronger connection with the audience (i.e. APAC country sources and examples for APAC audiences; LE sources for LE audiences, etc).
- Coordinate with Project Coordinator and Center SMEs to deliver timely products for global conferences, fora, webinars, and other key projects, supported by data and research
Training and Development:
All responsibilities related to formal and informal internal and external planning, execution and evaluations specific to trainings.
- Work closely with SMEs and Center leaders in using data, open source and published research to support trainings of partners, including for IJM-led or Partner-led field programs
- Synthesize relevant data and research into short research or data vignettes for use during online and in-person trainings
Responsibilities that are basic and standard for a given role including interviews, coordination, follow-ups, or any other general task.
- Maintain a database of external research findings and published works relevant to the Center
- Participate in external Center meetings and calls, including out of time zone and regular work hours, gather and synthesize relevant stakeholder initiatives and data
- University degree in International Development, Public Policy, Research, Economics, Public Health, Criminal Justice, or another related field
- At least two years of experience in research, M&E, data gathering or a related field
- Proven research experience, with published works preferred
- Experience working effectively cross-culturally and across multiple time zones strongly preferred
- Proven ability to communicate and collaborate with multi-disciplinary program teams to understand goals and activities
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills in English, including the ability to make complex technical concepts easy to understand for non-technical audiences
- Strong computer skills, including high level of proficiency with Microsoft Office applications and relevant publishing software
- Strong research and reading comprehension skills (English)
- The ability to discern credible and reliable sources
- Strategic thinking and analysis
- Facilitation and collaboration
- Knowledge of OSEC issues, anti-OSEC programming, NGO and government engagement in Southeast Asian countries preferred.
- Mature orthodox Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed
- Strong service ethic and passion to help people suffering injustice
- Organized, detail-oriented, and disciplined with priorities
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Patient, flexible, and persistent
- Unfailing integrity and honesty
- Effective team player and leader
- Works well under stress and minimal supervision
- Punctual, manages time and resources effectively
- Professional, diplomatic, and mature in judgment and demeanor
- Able to work effectively and appropriately in a cross-cultural setting
- Able to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
Send Job Application (Resume, Cover Letter & Statement of Faith*) to:
*What is a statement of faith?
A statement of faith should describe your Christian faith and how you see it as relevant to your involvement with IJM. The statement can either be incorporated into the cover letter or submitted as a separate document and should include, at a minimum, a description of your spiritual disciplines (prayer, study, etc.) and your current fellowship or place of worship.